Homemade Liquid Dish Soap

Posted by on Wednesday, December 21, 2011

 See how nice and thick it looks! 

Ingredients:
  • 1 quart (8 cups) of water
  • 1/2 bar of your favorite soap  (I use Ivory, but you can use castle or whatever you like best.)
  • 2 cups of vinegar to cut the grease  (I suppose lemon juice would do the trick too, but citrus takes the shine out of your silver ware too, so I use vinegar.)
Directions:

Boil water on stove top.  Grate your bar of soap (I use my food processor) and add it to the boiling water.  Mix well.  Let simmer.  Remove from heat and mix with electric mixer.  Be sure the soap and water is mixed well so that it doesn't separate.  Return to stove and simmer a little longer.  Remove from stove and add vinegar (or lemon juice).  Mix with mixer again.  Let cool a bit.  Pour into whatever container you want to keep it in and let it sit for a while to thicken. (Be careful not to pour HOT liquid into a plastic container as it could melt the container and/or burn you.)  Mine fit into a 14 ounce bottle with a tiny bit left over.

(You probably don't need to mix as much as I did, but I didn't want it to seperate and I already had the mixer out - so why not??  You can play with it and do your own thing.)

There will not be any bubbles.  We have grown so accustomed to seeing bubbles that we don't feel we've cleaned anything without them, but we must remember bubbles don't clean things.  Soap does! 

Also ~ If your soap ends up a little too thick, you can simply dilute it with a little water until you like it.