Homemade Tooth Paste

Posted by on Monday, November 15, 2010

~~~~



Ingredients for peppermint toothpaste
We made our own toothpaste!!! It was fun, easy, frugal, and tasty! I'm totally hooked.
I have been wanting to make some more natural toothpaste, but all of the recipes I had seen online called for glycerin or other ingredients that I didn't have on hand. When I came across Julie's post about making toothpaste, I was excited!


Here is how I made my homemade toothpaste:
2 tablespoons coconut oil
3 tablespoons baking soda
1/2 small packet of stevia powder
20-25 drops of peppermint oil*

1. Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl, using a fork.

*Add about half of the amount of peppermint oil to start, and test the toothpaste to see how much you want/like. I used NOW brand peppermint oil, and ended up stopping at 25 drops which is still not as strong as I am used to, though it does taste nice and minty! Julie noted in her instructions that using part spearmint oil will make the toothpaste not as "hot" as using all peppermint oil.
Ingredients for cinnamon toothpaste
I also made a cinnamon variation. Instead of using peppermint oil, I added a teaspoon of ground cinnamon and a few drops of clove oil. This did turn out a little bit hot for the children, and I'm not sure if I like the ground cinnamon the paste -- cinnamon oil might be a better choice, but I don't own any. :)

This toothpaste recipe is very easy to experiment with as far as flavoring, and I'm thinking of making up some with cayenne pepper in it, which is supposed to be good for the gums!
This is what the finished toothpaste looks like:
Homemade toothpaste
The peppermint one is snowy-white! It looks and feels (to the fingers) just like store-bought toothpaste. The coconut oil is really a fabulous base for the toothpaste.

It tastes good, too. The stevia gives a sweet taste (which most toothpastes have). The baking soda taste isn't over-powering, but it is there -- and the toothpaste definitely works well! It doesn't foam, of course, but I actually like it that way.

Since coconut oil melts at 76 degrees, the toothpaste becomes liquid when you brush, and coats the teeth well. The oil is very runny, though, and doesn't leave the mouth feeling greasy in the least. It will, however, stick to your bathroom sink if you use cold water to rinse. I definitely recommend using warm water with this toothpaste! (It was only when I used the cinnamon one that I saw where the toothpaste actually ended up/stayed!)
Our bathroom toothpastes: Containers of homemade, and a half-tube of fluoride-free Nature's Gate.

~ One comment i read about this toothpaste is that it is really salty… i don’t know, i haven’t tried it yet. But they did say that it worked really well. Try experimenting yourself with the flavor!

3 Comments

Ammiel R. said...

I didn't have stevia, so instead i used honey. I think it turned out actually better!

Ammiel R. said...

I've been using this tooth paste for about a week now and i can totally see a difference in the whiteness of my teeth! Seriously I'm so shocked, i think my teeth are considerably whiter! Can it be?

Ammiel R. said...

Also since this does have an oil in it i always rinse with hot water, you get the taste out of your mouth quicker that way.

And you can buy the coconut oil at Wal-mart in the baking section. I use the flavoring oils that is in the cake decorating section of Wal-mart. Last time i bought them it was $2 for two small bottles. I have used the spearmint in the tooth paste and use the lemon as a scent in my laundry detergent.